August 20th is Southern HIV/AIDS Awareness Day (#SHAAD). Founded by the Southern AIDS Coalition, SHAAD is a day that calls attention to the disproportionate number of people living with HIV in the South. The South experiences a higher burden of HIV compared to other regions across the country, especially among communities of color.
SHAAD is an opportunity to promote HIV prevention, testing, and treatment in the region.
Use our sample social media and informative infographics with #SHAAD and #AIDSVu to recognize this awareness day with us.
- August 20 is Southern HIV/AIDS Awareness Day. Support initiatives that ensure everyone has access to proper #HIV testing, treatment, and support. Check out @aidsvu’s deeper look on #HIV in the South for more information. #SHAAD Visit: https://aidsvu.org/resources/deeper-look-south/
- From @AIDSVu: Among the 48 US #EHE counties with the highest #HIV burden, nearly half are in the South. On August 20, we recognize #SHAAD to draw attention to continued #HIV related health disparities in the South. For more information, visit: https://aidsvu.org/resources/deeper-look-south/
- Together, we can change the narrative around #HIV. On #SHAAD, let’s advocate for comprehensive healthcare services and fight against #HIV-related health disparities in the South. Use @aidsvu’s data to learn more: https://aidsvu.org/resources/deeper-look-south/
- Break barriers and foster understanding on this Southern HIV/AIDS Awareness Day. Let’s shed light on #HIV’s impact in the South and promote equal access to care. Explore @aidsvu’s deeper look at #HIV in the region. Visit: https://aidsvu.org/resources/deeper-look-south/
- From @AIDSVu: Black Americans in the South represented half of all new HIV diagnoses in the region in 2020, despite comprising only 19% of the Southern population. Read more about Southern HIV AIDS Awareness Day at https://aidsvu.org/resources/deeper-look-south/ #SHAAD
- What we’re reading today: @AIDSVu’s new Q&A with Neena Smith-Bankhead and Kia Colbert from @BeOurCOMPASS on the 5-year anniversary of the COMPASS initiative and its impact on #HIV in the South. Read more: https://aidsvu.org/5-years-of-the-gilead-compass-initiative/