On September 18th, AIDSVu recognizes National HIV/AIDS and Aging Awareness Day (NHAAD). Older adults living with HIV represent the largest age group of people living with HIV, and the largest age group of individuals who are virally suppressed. NHAAD is an opportunity each year to bring attention to the growing number of older people living with HIV and their unique health and social needs.
Use our sample social media and informative infographics with #NHAAD and #AIDSVu to recognize this awareness day with us.
- From @AIDSVu: People aged 55+ represented 41% of all people living with #HIV in the U.S. in 2021. This National HIV/AIDS and Aging Awareness Day (#NHAAD), help us highlight the successes and challenges that older people living with HIV face. Read more: https://aidsvu.org/national-hiv-aids-and-aging-awareness-day-2023/
- The impacts of ageism and racism make living with HIV especially difficult for Black Americans aged 55+. @AIDVu highlights these disparities here: https://aidsvu.org/national-hiv-aids-and-aging-awareness-day-2023/
- New #HIV diagnoses among women are concentrated in older age groups. This #NHAAD, explore the impact of HIV on older people on @AIDSVu: https://aidsvu.org/national-hiv-aids-and-aging-awareness-day-2023/
- From @AIDSVu: There was a 22% increase in the number of PrEP users aged 55+ from 2021 to 2022. This National HIV/AIDS and Aging Awareness Day, explore #PrEP use among older adults here: https://aidsvu.org/national-hiv-aids-and-aging-awareness-day-2023/
- @Brennan-Ing remarked that “In the United States, almost 20% of new HIV infections are occurring in people over the age of 50.” To learn more about how HIV is impacting the older populations, read the rest of Dr. Brennan-Ing’s interview with @AIDSVu here: https://aidsvu.org/dr-mark-brennan-ing-on-hiv-aging-and-health-equity/
- As people living with HIV grow older, they face additional challenges. @Brennan-Ing calls fellow activists to action “like they did back in the 1980s, to organize and forcefully advocate for the kinds of programming, care, and support they need as they grow older”. Read his conversation with @AIDSVu here: https://aidsvu.org/dr-mark-brennan-ing-on-hiv-aging-and-health-equity/
- Sonya Arreola of @UCSF spoke with @AIDSVu about the challenges faced by older gay men—from navigating ageism to dealing with health conditions like #HIV. Read the full interview here: https://aidsvu.org/dr-sonya-arreola-on-gay-men-and-aging/